MSE Program Prerequisites
Math and Physics Proficiency Prerequisites
Proficiency in undergraduate mathematics and physics is expected for all MSE students in the robotics program. This will include the following:
- Multivariable integral and differential calculus
- Linear algebra
- Ordinary differential equations
- Physics – undergraduate calculus-based mechanics, electricity, and magnetism.
- Probability and statistics
This proficiency will be assumed in the prerequisites for the core courses.
Computing Proficiency Prerequisites
Proficiency in computer programming is expected for all MSE students in the robotics program. This will include the following:
- Basic numerical methods using existing programming environments.
- The ability to write well-structured and documented programs in a standard programming language such as C++, Java, or MATLAB.
Admissions for Fall 2019 will open in September 2018. For more information: http://www.grad.jhu.edu/admissions/apply
The application deadline is December 5, 2018 for matriculation in Fall 2019.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science, or math. (Or demonstrated knowledge or accomplishment in these fields)
- Graduate Application
- Statement of Purpose (no more than one page) – in your statement of purpose please take a couple of sentences to explain/answer the following:
- Why are you interested in doing an MSE in Robotics? No need to over-think this: it is fine if it is as simple as wanting to get a job in this field!
- Are you interested in a specific Robotics Track? See Robotics MSE website for more information on tracks.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Current JHU students may request that this requirement be waived. Such requests will be judged on a case-by-case basis.
- IELTS or TOEFL for international applicants. Please note: while the Robotics program accepts both the TOEFL and the IELTS tests, we strongly prefer the IELTS.
- Three letters of reference
- $75.00 Application fee
- For non-USA academic work, JHU Graduate Admissions strongly recommends you submit a professional evaluation from one of the recommended resources (more information here). At this time, however, LCSR does not require the evaluation for the Robotics MSE application package.
Johns Hopkins University is deeply committed to the dignity and equality of all persons—inclusive of sex, gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and veteran status.
More information on diversity here.