MSE Program Prerequisites
Math and Physics Proficiency Prerequisites
Proficiency in undergraduate mathematics and physics is expected for all MSE students in the robotics program. This will include the following:
- Multivariable integral and differential calculus
- Linear algebra
- Ordinary differential equations
- Physics – undergraduate calculus-based mechanics, electricity, and magnetism.
- Probability and statistics
This proficiency will be assumed in the prerequisites for the core courses.
Computing Proficiency Prerequisites
Proficiency in computer programming is expected for all MSE students in the robotics program. This will include the following:
- Basic numerical methods using existing programming environments.
- The ability to write well-structured and documented programs in a standard programming language such as C++, Java, or MATLAB.
Admissions for Fall 2020 will open in September 2019.
Application Deadline – The application deadline is December 15 for matriculation in Fall 2020.
For more information about WSE Admissions Click Here
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science, or math. (Or demonstrated knowledge or accomplishment in these fields)
- Graduate Application
- Statement of Purpose (no more than one page) – in your statement of purpose please consider the following questions:
- Why are you interested in doing an MSE in Robotics? No need to over-think this: it is fine if it is as simple as wanting to get a job in this field!
- What do you hope to learn during the Robotics MSE?
- What do you want to do after you graduate, and how do you see the MSE degree from JHU as assisting in that goal?
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Current JHU students may request that this requirement be waived. Such requests will be judged on a case-by-case basis.
- IELTS or TOEFL for international applicants. Please note: while the Robotics program accepts both the TOEFL and the IELTS tests, we strongly prefer the IELTS.
- Three letters of reference
- $75.00 Application fee
- For non-USA academic work, JHU Graduate Admissions strongly recommends you submit a professional evaluation from one of the recommended resources (more information here). At this time, however, LCSR does not require the evaluation for the Robotics MSE application package.
Johns Hopkins University is deeply committed to the dignity and equality of all persons—inclusive of sex, gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and veteran status. Like the university, Robotics values diversity, and welcomes applications from all.
More information on diversity here.