MSE Program Prerequisites
Math and Physics Proficiency Prerequisites
Proficiency in undergraduate mathematics and physics is expected for all MSE students in the robotics program. This will include the following:
- Multivariable integral and differential calculus
- Linear algebra
- Ordinary differential equations
- Physics – undergraduate calculus-based mechanics, electricity, and magnetism.
- Probability and statistics
This proficiency will be assumed in the prerequisites for the core courses.
Computing Proficiency Prerequisites
Proficiency in computer programming is expected for all MSE students in the robotics program. This will include the following:
- Basic numerical methods using existing programming environments.
- The ability to write well-structured and documented programs in a standard programming language such as C++, Java, or MATLAB.
Whiting School of Engineering Requirements
All graduate applicants new to JHU (not combined bachelor’s/master’s, dual degrees, etc.):
- Are required to have completed a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent prior to starting a graduate program in the WSE;
- Must submit GRE scores taken in the past 5 years (*Note special COVID-19 exception for the 2021 admissions cycle)
- Must meet English Proficiency requirements (as relevant);
- Must submit at least 3 letters of recommendation;
- Must submit transcripts from all prior educational institutions (unofficially in application, official once accepted)
The application for Fall 2022 will open in early September.
Application Deadline – The application deadline is December 15, 2021 for matriculation in Fall 2022.
For more information about WSE Admissions Click Here
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science, or math. (Or demonstrated knowledge or accomplishment in these fields)
- Graduate Application
- Statement of Purpose (no more than one page) – in your statement of purpose please consider the following questions:
- Why are you interested in doing an MSE in Robotics? No need to over-think this: it is fine if it is as simple as wanting to get a job in this field!
- What do you hope to learn during the Robotics MSE?
- What do you want to do after you graduate, and how do you see the MSE degree from JHU as assisting in that goal?
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Please use institution code: 4655. Current JHU students may request that this requirement be waived. Such requests will be judged on a case-by-case basis. *For 2022 Applicants who are impacted by COVID access issues, you may apply for a waiver of the GRE within the application.*
- IELTS or TOEFL for international applicants. Please note: while the Robotics program accepts both the TOEFL and the IELTS tests, we strongly prefer the IELTS. For applications submitted in Fall 2020, we understand that there are limited testing sites available in much of the world. For more information on testing, other options, and additional information about the language requirement, please visit the Admissions website
- Three letters of reference
- $75.00 Application fee
- For non-USA academic work, JHU Graduate Admissions and the Robotics MSE program strongly recommends you submit a professional evaluation from one of the recommended resources (more information here). This evaluation is not required, but inclusion of a professional transcript evaluation greatly increases understanding of your academic accomplishments.
Johns Hopkins University is deeply committed to the dignity and equality of all persons—inclusive of sex, gender, marital status, pregnancy, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, and veteran status. Like the university, Robotics values diversity, and welcomes applications from all.
More information on diversity here.