January 30, 2017
- Paper selected as Highlights at IROS 2016 conference (20 out of 840)
- Paper selected as Highlights of 2015 by Bioinspiration & Biomimetics (12 out of 110)
- Appointed Carol Linde Croft Faculty Fellow
- Plenary Lecture: IEEE HONET-ICT International Symposium on Smart Microgrids for Sustainable Energy, enabled by Photonics and IoT Sensors, Nicosia, Northern Cyprus, Oct. 2016
- Berk Gonenc named as a Siebel Scholar for 2016
- MIT Technology Review, named one of 35 Innovators Under 35
- T. Grunberg and D. F. Gayme, “Performance Measures for Coupled Oscillator Networks over Arbitrary Graphs,” IEEE Trans. on Control of Network Systems, accepted Oct. 2016
- S. Chandra, D. F. Gayme, and A. Chakrabortty, “Time-Scale Modeling of Wind- Integrated Power Systems,” IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, vol. 31, no. 6, pp 4712- 4721, Nov. 2016
- Gao, A., Murphy, R., Liu, H., Iordachita, I. and Armand, M., “Mechanical Model of Dexterous Continuum Manipulators with Compliant Joints and Tendon/External Force Interactions.” IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics. In Press, Sept. 2016.
- Channa, R., Iordachita, I. and Handa, J.T., “Robotic Vitreoretinal Surgery.” RETINA. Online Nov. 2016.
- Sen, H., Bell, M.L., Zhang, Y., Ding, K., Boctor, E., Wong, J., Iordachita, I. and Kazanzides, P., “System Integration and In-Vivo Testing of a Robot for Ultrasound Guidance and Monitoring during Radiotherapy.” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. Online Oct. 2016.
- Li, M., Li, G., Gonenc, B., Duan, X. and Iordachita, I., “Towards human‐controlled,real‐time shape sensing based flexible needle steering for MRI‐guided percutaneous therapies.” The International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery. Online Aug. 2016, In Press.
- Sen, H.T., Cheng, A., Ding, K., Boctor, E., Wong, J., Iordachita, I. and Kazanzides, P.,“Cooperative Control with Ultrasound Guidance for Radiation Therapy,” Frontiers in Robotics and AI, vol. 3, p.49, Sep. 2016.
- E. E. Sutton, A. Demir, S. A. Stamper, E. S. Fortune, and N. J. Cowan. “Dynamic modulation of visual and electrosensory gains for locomotor control.” J R Soc Interface 13(118):20160057, May 2016
- Uyanik, M. M. Ankarali, N. J. Cowan, U. Saranli, and O. Morgul. “Identification of a vertical hopping robot model via harmonic transfer functions.” Trans Inst Measurement Control 38(5):501–511, May 2016
- Eddins B and Bell MAL, “Design of a multifiber light delivery system for photoacoustic guided surgery,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, accepted Dec. 2016
- Zhang HK, Bell MAL, Guo X, Kang HJ, Boctor EM, “Synthetic-aperture based photoacoustic re-beamforming (SPARE) approach using beamformed ultrasound data,” Biomedical Optics Express, 7(8):3056-3068, Aug. 2016
- Kang HJ, Bell MAL, Guo X, Boctor EM. Spatial angular compounding of photoacoustic images, IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 35(8):1845-1855, Aug. 2016
- Li C, Kessens CC, Young A, Fearing RS, Full RJ (2016). “Cockroach-inspired winged robot reveals principles of ground-based dynamic self-righting,” IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Oct. 2016
- C. R Shapiro, J. Meyers, C. Meneveau, and D. F. Gayme, “Wind farms providing secondary frequency regulation: Evaluating the performance of model-based receding horizon control,” Proc. of the 6th Science of Making Torque from Wind (TORQUE 2016) Conf., Munich, Germany, Oct. 2016
- Alambeigi, F., Wang, Y., Murphy, R.J., Iordachita, I., and Armand, M., “Toward Robot-Assisted Hard Osteolytic Lesion Treatment Using a Continuum Manipulator,” in Proc. 38th Annu. Int. Conf. of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Orlando, FL. pp. 5103-5106, Aug. 2016.
- Gao, A., Murphy, R.J., Liu, H., Iordachita, I., and Armand, M., “Evaluating the Deflection of Dexterous Continuum Manipulators with Unevenly Distributed Compliant Joints,” in Proc. 38th Annu. Int. Conf. of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Orlando, FL. pp. 5099-5102, Aug. 2016.
- Wang, Y., Kim, S., Burdette, E.C., Kazanzides, P., and Iordachita, I., “Robotic System with Multiplex Power Transmission for MRI-guided Percutaneous Interventions,” in Proc 38th Annu. Int. Conf. of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Orlando, FL. pp. 5228-5232, Aug. 2016.
- Gonenc, B., Tran, N., Gehlbach, P., Taylor, R.H., and Iordachita, I., “Robot-Assisted Retinal Vein Cannulation with Force-Based Puncture Detection: Micron vs. the Steady-Hand Eye Robot,” in Proc 38th Annu. Int. Conf. of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Orlando, FL. pp. 5107-5111, Aug. 2016.
- J. Carr, M. M. Ankarali, N. Danos, N. J. Cowan, and E. D. Tytell. “Noisy work loops: A new technique for understanding how muscle contribute to the non-steady dynamics of rhythmic movements,” in Soc Int Comp Biol, Jan. 2017.
- A. Arend, D. Biswas, S. A. Stamper, B. P. Vagvolgyi, E. S. Fortune, and N. J. Cowan. “Active sensing movements are modulated by the strength of sensory feedback in electric fish.” In Soc Int Comp Biol, Jan. 2017.
- Reiter A and Bell MAL, “A machine learning approach to detect point sources in photoacoustic data,” Proceedings of SPIE Photonics West, San Francisco, CA, Jan. 28 – Feb. 2, 2017.
- Eddins B and Bell MAL, “Optimizing light delivery for a photoacoustic surgical system,” Proceedings of SPIE Photonics West, San Francisco, CA, Jan. 28 – Feb. 2, 2017.
- Ghandi N, Kim S, Kazanzides P, Bell MAL, “Accuracy of a novel photoacoustic-based approach to surgical guidance performed with and without a teleoperated da Vinci robot,” Proceedings of SPIE Photonics West, San Francisco, CA, Jan. 28 – Feb. 2, 2017.
- The Terradynamics of Biological Movement in Complex Terrain, Career Award at the Scientific Interface, PI 7/1/2015-6/30/2020, Burroughs Wellcome Fund, Award: $500,000
- Modeling, Analysis and Control Design for Spatially Distributed Systems with Application to Wind Farms, National Science Foundation, PI, 9/1/2016 – 8/31/2019, Award: $324,300
- MRI Compatible Body-Mounted Robot to streamline Pediatric Shoulder Arthrography, National Institute of Health, PI Kevin Cleary, Children National Medical Center, Washington DC., Award: $525,113
- Collaborative Research: Neural Mechanisms of Active Sensing, National Science Foundation, PI Noah Cowan, 4/15/2016-3/31/2020, Award: $93,750
- Dynamic Tuning of Instabilities for High Power Movements in Deformable Structures, Army Research Office, PI Barry Trimmer, Co-PI Noah Cowan, 5/1/2016 – 10/31/2018, Award: $529,074
- Coherence-Based Photoacoustic Image Guidance of Transsphenoidal Surgeries, National Institute of Heath: Pathway to Independence Award, PI Muyinatu Bell, 2015- 2019, Award: $163,494